Upcoming Apprenticeship Opportunities
Here are current openings in construction union apprenticeship programs. P2A can help you create a resume and prepare for an interview with any of these training schools. Please let us know if you have any questions or would like our assistance.
In addition to the opportunities listed below, P2A will also be holding a class for people who live in public housing (on the lease) and who are interested in joining the Electricians apprenticeship. For this opportunity, you need proof of having taken algebra in high school. There is a math and reading test that you need to pass to get into the Electricians union, and the P2A class will prepare you for this test. Please contact us immediately if you are interested in this opportunity.
There are three on-line recruitments in the next few weeks: the Laborers, Local 731, Laborers, Local 79, and the Ironworkers, Local 46. As described below, you will need a computer for all 3 of these recruitments and they will start at 9:00 a.m. and probably be over by 9:02 a.m. P2A will be making computers available for anyone who needs one and has registered with us in advance. If you would like our help in applying, please also let us know as soon as possible.
Also, P2A is forming a class for residents of public housing (on the lease) who have proof of high school algebra, for the Electricians apprenticeship. If you are qualified and are interested in this, please let us know as soon as possible.
Here are the current openings:
1) On May 9th, the Laborers, Local 731, will be holding an on-line recruitment for its apprenticeship program and will be giving out 300 applications. It will begin at 9:00 a.m. sharp. By 8:45 a.m. at the latest, you need to log on to: www.Recruitment.local731.org, (it is not yet live). For more information, please go to: https://labor.ny.gov/pressreleases/currentrecruitments/laborers-lu731-march-04-2017.shtm
2) On June 1st, the Metallic Lathers and Reinforcing Iron workers will be having a recruitment where they will give out 500 applications. It will begin at 9:00 a.m. sharp. It will begin at 9:00 a.m. sharp. By 8:45 a.m. at the latest, you need to log on to: www.46apprentice.org. For more information, please go to: https://labor.ny.gov/pressreleases/currentrecruitments/lathers-lu46-april-26-2017.shtm,
3) On June 2nd the Laborers, Local 79 will be holding a recruitment where they will give out 2000 applications. It will begin at 9:00 a.m. sharp. By 8:45 a.m. at the latest, you need to log on to: www.mttf.org. For more information, please go to: Local 79: https://labor.ny.gov/pressreleases/currentrecruitments/laborers-lu79-may-01-2017.shtm
4) On May 10th (and then again on June 14th, 2017), the Carpenters are taking applications for 100 High Rise Cement carpenters as well as Millwrights and Piledriver/ Dockbuilders. Applications are given out only from 7:00 a.m. – 7:30 a.m. at the NYCDCC Labor Technical College, 395 Hudson Street (Clarkson St. entrance). For more information, please go to:
5) On May 23rd (and on every 3rd Tuesday of each month through December, 2017), the Finishing Trades Institute is giving out applications for Metal Refinisher apprentices. Applications are available at the Finishing Trades Institute of New York, 45-15 36th Street, Long Island City, NY, from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. For more information, please go to:
For your review, attached are the Department of Labor notices for each of these apprenticeship recruitment's.
Applications will also be available at 3281 Route 206, Bordentown, NJ, 08505 from 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. on 04/28/17 and 10/20/17.
Attached are job descriptions for the Tile, Marble, and Terrazo Workers and the Local 737 Heavy Highway and Excavators.
You can click on any of these sites for the Department of Labor notices on all open apprenticeships in New York City:
P2A AND BUILDING TRADES CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
A union construction career is a solid pathway to a stable and comfortable middle class life. Wages can start at over $50,000/year plus health insurance and retirement benefits and the only requirements are a high school diploma, a positive mental attitude, and a commitment to being hardworking and reliable. The best way to get into a union construction career is through a union construction apprenticeship and P2A helps people from low-income communities access these union apprenticeship opportunities.
The NYC construction industry unions (also called the building and construction trades) include the Laborers, the Bricklayers, the Painters, the Ironworkers, the Carpenters, the Sheet Metal Workers, the Electricians, the Boilermakers, the Steelworkers, the Plumbers, the Cement Workers, and more. The apprenticeships for these unions open up at different times during the year -- some open up only once per year, others only every 2 or 3 years. Each union has its recruitment method and strict rules regarding how to apply. Generally, only a limited number of applications (such as 300 or 1000) will be made available at any particular time. For example, the Laborers, Local 79 has an on-line recruitment, which is generally over within 2 minutes. The Plumbers and Carpenters unions offer a limited number of paper applications available at their offices, for which people will line up a night or two before the office opens on that recruitment day. Others unions, such as the Sheet Metal Workers and Boilermakers, require that applicants take a reading and math aptitude test at the time of the application, and only applicants who score above a certain level will be contacted.
P2A assists applicants with these application processes and conducts pre-apprenticeship classes to assist applicants in preparing for their interviews and with the apprenticeship process in general. P2A also sends out email updates on when these union construction apprenticeships open up and conducts info sessions on these apprenticeship opportunities at community organizations and public agencies throughout New York City. Much of the work of P2A is done by P2A peer mentors – full-time building trades apprentices who also serve as peer mentors for applicants and new apprentices.
To join the P2A community, all you need to do is sign up on the P2A mailing list with an email address and cell phone number.
You can click on any of these sites for more detail on all open apprenticeships in New York City:
|New York City|
|1||Boilermakers Northeast JAC LU#5||4/17/17||3/19/18|
|2||Boilermakers Northeast JATC LU#5||4/18/16||3/20/17|
|3||Bricklayers & Allied Craftworkers JATC LU #1||4/29/16||3/31/17|
|4||Finishing Trades Institute of New York||12/20/16||12/19/17|
|5||Finishing Trades Institute of New York||4/10/17||4/21/17|
|6||Heat & Frost Insulators AJEF Local #12||4/3/17||4/14/17|
|7||High Rise Concrete Carpenters JATC of New York City||2/8/17||11/8/17|
|8||International Union of Operating Engineers, LU #15||3/13/17||3/17/17|
|9||NYC District Council of Carpenters JATC||7/13/16||6/14/17|
|10||NYC District Council of Carpenters JATC||7/13/16||6/14/17|
|11||Sheet Metal Workers JATC LU #112 (Elmira)||2/27/17||2/23/18|
|12||Tile, Marble, Terrazzo Local #7 of NY & NJ||4/24/17||10/20/17|
|13||USIS Electric, Inc.||2/21/17||2/21/18|