UPDATE! Upcoming Apprenticeship Openings - LABORERS LOCAL 79!!! Derrickmen and Riggers Local 197 and Laborers 731
Hello P2A Community, 7-7-18
This is the new Apprenticeship openings update. COMING UP!!! Derrickmen and Riggers, Local 197, Laborers 731, and Laborers Local 79!!!
Please know that you can always check all the Apprenticeship Openings on the NYS Department of Labor website at: https://www.labor.ny.gov/pressreleases/apprenticeshiparchive.shtm You must scroll down the list to “New York City” – about mid-way down the page. P2A can help you with your resume and to prepare for an interview. We also have some materials for you to use in studying for any aptitude tests. Please contact us - email is best: info2pathways2apprenticeship.org
1. The Derrickmen and Riggers Local Union #197 will conduct a recruitment on Monday, July 9, 2018, starting at 9:00 a.m. for 30 iron worker (stone derrickman and rigger) apprentices. You can get an application at Local Union #197, 15-32 127th Street, College Point, NY 11356. They are only giving out 300 applications, so people will probably start making a line today. Applicants must pay a non-refundable testing fee of $25.00. Please note, you may request that this fee be waived. Fee waivers will be approved upon showing verifiable proof of financial need. For more information, click here: https://www.labor.ny.gov/pressreleases/currentrecruitments/derrickmen-riggers-lu197-june-08-2018.shtm
2. The Laborers Local 731 will conduct a recruitment on Tuesday, July 10, 2018 for 30 skilled construction craft laborer apprentices. Applications will be available online at Recruitment.local731.org starting at 9:00 a.m. Only 300 applications will be distributed, so this will probably be over by 9:05 a.m. We recommend that you use a computer, and that you access the website and prepare yourself by 8:45; count down until 9:00 a.m. and then start typing. You will need your name, address, phone number, last 4 numbers of your social security number, and a good email address as they will then email you an application that you must fill out and return to the training center. For more information, click here: https://www.labor.ny.gov/pressreleases/currentrecruitments/laborers-lu731-may-29-2018.shtm
3. The Carpenters will conduct a recruitment on every 2nd Wednesday of each month from July 11, 2018 – June 12, 2019 (excluding some dates) for 25 carpenter/piledriver/dockbuilder apprentices, 20 linoleum resilient tile and carpet layer apprentices, 10 cabinet maker apprentices, and 10 millwright apprentices. You can get an application at 395 Hudson St (Clarkson St entrance), 2nd floor from 7:00 a.m. – 7:30 a.m. There is no admittance after 7:30 a.m. For more information, click here: https://www.labor.ny.gov/pressreleases/currentrecruitments/carpenters-jatc-nyc-may-29-2018.shtm
4. The Laborers Local 79 will conduct a recruitment on Friday, August 3, 2018 at 9:00 a.m. for 200 laborer apprentices. Applications will be available online at http://www.mttf.org. They will only give out 2,000 applications, so they will surely all be gone by 9:05 a.m. We recommend that you use a computer, and that you access the website and prepare yourself by 8:45, and count down to 9:00 a.m. and then start typing. You will need your name, address, phone number, last 4 numbers of your social security number, and a good email address as they will then email you an application that you must fill out and return to the training center. For more information, click here: https://www.labor.ny.gov/pressreleases/currentrecruitments/laborers-lu79-june-15-2018.shtm
P2A will be making computers available for people to use, if you would like to use one of our computers, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Local 79 computer” in the subject line.
Also, P2A will be holding a Local 79 pre-apprenticeship class to assist people who are successful in getting an application. If you would like to apply for this, please email us at email@example.com with “Local 79 class application” in the subject line.
5. The Finishing Trades Institute of New York DC 9 will also be conducting a recruitment for 50 metal refinishers on Monday, August 13, 2018, starting at 9:00 a.m. at: 45-15 36th Street, Long Island City, NY. They will only be distributing 500 applications, so a line may start on Sunday. You must go in person with a state I.D. For more information, click here: https://www.labor.ny.gov/pressreleases/currentrecruitments/metal-refinishers-finishing-trades-ny-may-21-2018.shtm
6. Finishing Trades Institute of New York DC 9 will also be conducting a recruitment for 50 painter, decorator, and paperhanger apprentices on Monday, September 17, 2018 at: 45-15 36th Street, Long Island City, NY. They will only be distributing 500 applications, so a line may start on Sunday. You must go in person with a state I.D. For more information, click here: https://www.labor.ny.gov/pressreleases/currentrecruitments/painters-finishing-trades-ny-may-22-2018.shtm
7. You can get an application for the High Rise Concrete Carpenters at the NYCDCC Training Center, 395 Hudson Street (Clarkson Street entrance), from 7:00 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. until November 14, 2018. There is no admittance after 7:30 a.m. You must go in person with a state I.D. Applications will include an instruction sheet regarding the requirements to return the application. For more information, click here: https://www.labor.ny.gov/pressreleases/currentrecruitments/carpenters-high-rise-january-08-2018.shtm
P2A is here to help. Please call or email us if you have any question or would like help. us to review your resume or help you prepare for an interview or if you need prep materials for any aptitude test.
P2A AND BUILDING TRADES CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
The NYC construction industry unions (also called the building and construction trades) include the Laborers, the Bricklayers, the Painters, the Ironworkers, the Carpenters, the Sheet Metal Workers, the Electricians, the Boilermakers, the Steelworkers, the Plumbers, the Cement Workers, and more. The apprenticeships for these unions open up at different times during the year -- some open up only once per year, others only every 2 or 3 years. Each union has its recruitment method and strict rules regarding how to apply. Generally, only a limited number of applications (such as 300 or 1000) will be made available at any particular time. For example, the Laborers, Local 79 has an on-line recruitment, which is generally over within 2 minutes. The Plumbers and Carpenters unions offer a limited number of paper applications available at their offices, for which people will line up a night or two before the office opens on that recruitment day. Others unions, such as the Sheet Metal Workers and Boilermakers, require that applicants take a reading and math aptitude test at the time of the application, and only applicants who score above a certain level will be contacted.
P2A assists applicants with these application processes and conducts pre-apprenticeship classes to assist applicants in preparing for their interviews and with the apprenticeship process in general. P2A also sends out email updates on when these union construction apprenticeships open up and conducts info sessions on these apprenticeship opportunities at community organizations and public agencies throughout New York City. Much of the work of P2A is done by P2A peer mentors – full-time building trades apprentices who also serve as peer mentors for applicants and new apprentices.
To join the P2A community, all you need to do is sign up on the P2A mailing list with an email address and cell phone number.
You can click on any of these sites for more detail on all open apprenticeships in New York City:
From the NYC Department of Labor website: https://www.labor.ny.gov/pressreleases/apprenticeshiparchive.shtm
|New York City|
|Boilermakers NE Area Local # 5||04/16/2018||03/18/2019|
|Carpenters JATC of NYC & Vicinity||07/11/2018||06/12/2019|
|Construction & General Building Laborers LU 79||08/03/2018||08/16/2018|
|Finishing Trades Institute of New York||06/27/2018||07/11/2018|
|Finishing Trades Institute of New York||08/13/2018||08/24/2018|
|Finishing Trades Institute of New York||09/17/2018||09/28/2018|
|High Rise Concrete Carpenters JATC of NYC||02/14/2018||11/14/2018|
|LIUNA LU # 731 Training Fund||07/10/2018||07/23/2018|
|Northeast Carpenters Apprenticeship Fund||01/29/2018||01/25/2019|
|Tile, Marble, Terrazzo Local #7 of NY & NJ||03/05/2018||10/05/2018|
|United Derrickman & Riggers Ironworkers LU # 197||07/09/2018||07/20/2018|