Ironworker, Bricklayer, Carpenter, and Sheet Metal Worker recruitments ENDING SOON! Plumbers recruitment coming up!
- The last day to get an application for Ironworkers, Local Union #40 & #361 is this Thursday May 24that Local Union #40 & #361, 35-23 36th Street, Astoria, NY, from 12:00 p.m. to 5:30. Applicants must present proof of high school diploma at time of application. A $25.00 testing fee will be required at the time of pick up (Money Order only - payable to Ironworkers LU #40 & #361). Please note that they may waive this fee if you show something that shows that you are low-income such as an EBT card or NYCHA housing verification. For more information, click here: https://www.labor.ny.gov/pressreleases/currentrecruitments/ironworkers-lu40-february-14-2018.shtm
- The last day to get an application for the Bricklayers, Local 1is Friday, May 25th. You can get an application at the International Masonry Institute, 12-07 44th Avenue, Long Island City, NY 11101 on these dates from 8:00 - 8:30 a.m. Doors close at 8:30 a.m. An Aptitude Test is given at the time of application. For more information, click here: https://www.labor.ny.gov/pressreleases/currentrecruitments/bricklayers-lu1-may-25-2017.shtm
- The Plumbers Local Union #1 will conduct a recruitment on Monday,June 11, 2018 for 100 plumber apprentices. Applications must be obtained in person by the applicantatthe Local Union #1 Training Center, 37-11 47th Avenue, Long Island City, NY. You must arrive well before 8:00 a.m. on 6/11 because they are only giving out 1,000 applications. All applicants are required to bring a form of positive proof of identification. All applications must then be fully completed and returned by hand to the Training Center office between Friday, July 27, 2018 and Thursday, August 2, 2018, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. For more information, click here:https://www.labor.ny.gov/pressreleases/currentrecruitments/plumbers-lu1-may-03-2018.shtm
- The last day of the Carpenters recruitment is Wednesday, June 13, 2018 for a number of different carpenter specialties such as piledriver/dockbuilder, linoleum, resilient tile, and carpet layer apprentices; cabinet maker apprentices; and millwright apprentices. You can also pick up an application for the High Rise Concrete Carpenters – but this recruitment is continuing through November 14, 2018. For allof these Carpenters opportunities, you get applications at the NYCDCC Training Center, 395 Hudson Street (Clarkson Street entrance),from 7:00 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. ONLY.There will be no admittance after 7:30 a.m. The CTC will distribute as many applications as possible in the given time frame. Only the applicant will be allowed to complete an application. In order to receive an application, applicants must provide government-issued picture identification. If the applicant does not have a valid ID, they will not be given an application. Applications will include an instruction sheet regarding the requirements to return the application.For more information, clickhere:https://www.labor.ny.gov/pressreleases/currentrecruitments/carpenters-high-rise-january-08-2018.shtm
- The last three days for the Sheet Metal Workers recruitment is Monday, May 21, 2018, Monday, May 28, 2018, and Monday June 4th. To get an application, you must go to 50-02 5th Street, Suite A, Long Island City, NY,any Monday from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., excluding legal holidays until June 4, 2018. To get an application, you must show them a valid drivers licenseand proof of a high school diploma or high school equivalency diploma. They need apprentices to drive company trucks. At the time of the application, you will also be given an aptitude test. For more information, click here: https://www.labor.ny.gov/pressreleases/currentrecruitments/sheet-metal-workers-lu137-may-03-2017.shtm
P2A AND BUILDING TRADES CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
The NYC construction industry unions (also called the building and construction trades) include the Laborers, the Bricklayers, the Painters, the Ironworkers, the Carpenters, the Sheet Metal Workers, the Electricians, the Boilermakers, the Steelworkers, the Plumbers, the Cement Workers, and more. The apprenticeships for these unions open up at different times during the year -- some open up only once per year, others only every 2 or 3 years. Each union has its recruitment method and strict rules regarding how to apply. Generally, only a limited number of applications (such as 300 or 1000) will be made available at any particular time. For example, the Laborers, Local 79 has an on-line recruitment, which is generally over within 2 minutes. The Plumbers and Carpenters unions offer a limited number of paper applications available at their offices, for which people will line up a night or two before the office opens on that recruitment day. Others unions, such as the Sheet Metal Workers and Boilermakers, require that applicants take a reading and math aptitude test at the time of the application, and only applicants who score above a certain level will be contacted.
P2A assists applicants with these application processes and conducts pre-apprenticeship classes to assist applicants in preparing for their interviews and with the apprenticeship process in general. P2A also sends out email updates on when these union construction apprenticeships open up and conducts info sessions on these apprenticeship opportunities at community organizations and public agencies throughout New York City. Much of the work of P2A is done by P2A peer mentors – full-time building trades apprentices who also serve as peer mentors for applicants and new apprentices.
To join the P2A community, all you need to do is sign up on the P2A mailing list with an email address and cell phone number.
You can click on any of these sites for more detail on all open apprenticeships in New York City:
|New York City|
||second Wednesday of each month||